Physician-Led Population Health Programs: New Skills for Success
As healthcare organizations reengineer care delivery to accommodate risk-based reimbursement models, population health management has emerged as a driving incentive. Physician involvement and leadership is integral to its success, but many physicians lack the skillset or motivation to take the helm.
Join leaders from the Jefferson School of Population Health and CHE Trinity Health as
they define new expectations for population health management and outline the leadership skills necessary for physicians to direct a successful program.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Explain why physicians are best-suited to lead population health programs
- Identify the leadership skills necessary for effective population health management and primary care redesign
- Communicate effective approaches for physician leadership training
- Identify the top barriers to the success of your organization’s population health management model
- A practical definition of population health for health systems and physicians
- Timing the shift from volume to value
- Addressing the social determinants of health
- Challenges for clinical care and practice guidelines
- Structure of population health models across the country
- Why physicians must lead population health management
- Redesigning care delivery
- Recognizing and driving out waste
- New physician leadership skills needed
- Good clinical skills do not equal good leadership skills
- Ambulatory focus and systems thinking
- Difficulty of translating to action
- New tools for physicians
- CHE Trinity’s model for transformation
- Structuring care teams differently than the medical staff structure
- Online training program with JSPH
- Choosing partners
- Evaluating success
Meet the Speakers
David B. Nash, MD, MBA
Dean, Jefferson School of Population Health, Thomas Jefferson University
David Nash was named the Founding Dean of the Jefferson School of Population Health (JSPH) in 2008. This appointment caps a twenty-year tenure on the faculty of Thomas Jefferson University. He is also the Dr. Raymond C. and Doris N. Grandon Professor of Health Policy. JSPH provides innovative educational programming designed to develop healthcare leaders for the future. Its offerings include Masters Programs in Public Health, Healthcare Quality and Safety, Health Policy and Applied Health Economics, and Outcomes Research. JSPH also offers a doctoral program in Population Health Science.
Dr. Nash is a board certified internist who is internationally recognized for his work in outcomes management, medical staff development and quality-of-care improvement.
Paul Harkaway, MD
Senior Vice President
Dr. Harkaway joined CHE Trinity Health in January, 2012 to help lead the efforts around clinical integration and population health management. He is responsible for working with other key leaders in CHE Trinity Health to help with its transition to an integrated delivery system in each of the communities served. That transition must assure that CHE Trinity Health can be successful in the future both with the new integrated models of care as well as with new value based payment arrangements.
In his life prior to joining CHE Trinity Health, Dr. Harkaway spent more than 25 years caring for patients with pulmonary disease and critical illness at Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Who Should Attend?
Chief Medical Officers, Chief Quality Officers, Chief Executive Officers, Chiefs of Staff, Medical Directors, Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs
Webcast system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webcast experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Four days prior to the webcast, you will receive an e-mail with detailed system requirements, your log-in information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The on-demand version is now available! Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $279 value!
- Participation in the webcast is just $279 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.